Monday, May 14, 2012

What I Learned About Finding Time for Blog Writing

Each writer has a different set of circumstances. We live different lives than our neighbours. What works for one writer may not work for another.

My 21-day blog writing challenge will be over in a week. While I didn’t find it too difficult to write each day, I did learn some interesting facts about myself.

1. I can’t for the life of me get up early in the morning to write! When I was in college I used to be able to get up at 5 am to study. No longer. This leaves me scrambling to find some other time during the day.

2. The optimum writing times for me are between 3 pm and 9 pm. Any earlier and I’m not wide awake, and any later and I am pooped. The afternoon difficulty is compounded by the fact that I work full-time, plus I spend weekend afternoons with my boyfriend.

3. I can’t write with someone else in the same room as me. Which brings me to wonder about my June writing challenge where I will attempt to write in public spaces. I guess I’ll find out then! This means that no writing will happen between Friday night and Sunday evening, the times I spend with my boyfriend.

4. If I can actually sit down and write in my book, on my iPhone or on my computer, the words come. The main challenge is finding the time to write.

5. If I spend time writing, other chores suffer. I’ve had little time for housework or even for crafting. When one activity is started, another must end.

6. I can fit in a little bit of writing while on the bus, at work, walking, etc., or better yet, ponder upon new ideas.

Generally this leaves me with a 6 pm to 9 pm week nights writing slot, which isn’t a bad deal, except I have to fit in dinner, dishes, housework, laundry, and time with the cat.

With this new knowledge I can now work out a daily writing schedule that I can keep for the remainder of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment